The significance of getting sufficient sleep has been emphasised by tons of of research in recent times, and we’ve lined the subject many occasions on this weblog.
Insufficient sleep has been linked to weight problems, coronary heart illness, diabetes, hypertension, and different well being issues. And, in response to the Nationwide Freeway Site visitors Security Administration, as much as 72,000 automobile accidents and 6,000 deaths happen annually on account of sleep-deprived drivers.
However what about an excessive amount of sleep? Might that be dangerous for you, too? In keeping with a brand new research, the reply could also be sure.
Extra sleep, extra strokes?
Researchers publishing within the December 11, 2019, on-line concern of Neurology describe an evaluation of stroke threat amongst practically 32,000 adults with a mean age of 62. The research’s authors in contrast charges of stroke with research topics’ self-reported sleep habits.
Their findings had been shocking (not less than to me) and included:
- Those that reported sleeping 9 or extra hours every night time had a 23% larger threat of stroke than these sleeping lower than eight hours every night time.
- Stroke threat was 25% larger amongst those that took noon naps for not less than 90 minutes in contrast with these napping for lower than 30 minutes.
Poor sleep high quality was additionally linked to larger stroke threat
Combos of those components had an much more dramatic impact on stroke threat, together with an 85% larger threat amongst those that slept not less than 9 hours every night time and likewise took noon naps for not less than 90 minutes. Equally, an 82% larger stroke threat was noticed amongst those that slept longer at night time and likewise reported poor sleep high quality.
Does this imply an excessive amount of sleep causes strokes?
If you’re an individual who sleeps greater than 9 hours every night time, takes lengthy noon naps, and feels your sleep high quality is poor, these outcomes could also be troubling. However earlier than attempting to vary your sleep habits, remember this research didn’t conclude that extra sleep really causes strokes.
This research discovered an affiliation between stroke threat and longer sleep, longer noon napping, or poor sleep high quality. However an affiliation just isn’t the identical as causation. Reasonably than longer sleep length inflicting strokes, there are different attainable explanations for the findings. For instance, individuals who sleep extra at night time or nap extra throughout the day might produce other threat components for stroke, resembling:
- A better incidence of melancholy. Extreme sleeping or poor sleep high quality could also be signs of melancholy, and prior research have famous larger stroke charges amongst depressed people.
- A extra sedentary life-style. Those that should not energetic might sleep or nap extra and now have extra cardiovascular threat components (resembling smoking or hypertension) than those that train commonly. Previous analysis has famous much less favorable levels of cholesterol and bigger waist circumference amongst lengthy sleepers and nappers.
- Sleep apnea. Longer sleep length, extra napping, and poor-quality sleep could also be extra frequent amongst individuals with sleep apnea, a situation linked to an elevated threat of stroke. This new research didn’t ask topics about sleep problems resembling sleep apnea.
As well as, this research had weaknesses that would name its findings into query or restrict its applicability. These embrace reliance on self-reported sleep habits and high quality, and inclusion solely of middle-aged and older Chinese language adults with out prior most cancers or heart problems; the outcomes may need been fairly completely different if others had been included within the research.
The underside line
Sleep is a mysterious factor. It’s typically unclear why some individuals sleep kind of than others, or why sure sleep problems (resembling insomnia or sleep apnea) have an effect on so many individuals whereas sparing others. At a time when there’s a lot media emphasis on the significance of getting sufficient sleep, this new research raises the likelihood that extra sleep might not all the time be a superb factor. Nonetheless, we’ll want extra analysis on the query of whether or not extra sleep is hazardous earlier than making any agency suggestions to restrict sleep length.
The submit Are you getting sufficient sleep… or an excessive amount of? Sleep and stroke threat appeared first on Harvard Well being Weblog.